Hubs and I have been biding our time with Kindergarten, giving Emma time to get used to being in school every day, to doing school work and homework, to balancing life with school. I mentally gave her teacher through Oct. to help Emma get used to school before I approached her about meeting Emma's reading fluently needs.
Yesterday school got real, and we have been faced with what I imagine is only the beginning of balancing Emma's academic needs with her social/ emotional needs. Yesterday her teacher told me that Emma has been placed in the Accelerated Reading program, and she starts on Monday. We briefly spoke about it, and it sounds like Emma and 2 other classmates will be going over to the library for a bit during class time (this is where the balancing is going to come into play, Emma's not going to be thrilled about missing class time). While they are there, they will be helped in picking out an Accelerated Reading book (it's a curriculum I guess). They have to read the book Monday night, then they'll be quizzed on their comprehension on Tuesday, then they'll have the opportunity to chose a fun book from the library to read the rest of the week.
Kindergarten seems a little early for kids to be "quizzed", and while I'm sure they'll be friendly about it, and that it's probably less quiz and more chatting, and I'm glad they are focusing on Emma's comprehension, I'm still a little apprehensive. I'm also trying to remind myself that I have always felt apprehensive about change when I don't know all the facts, and that with time I'll learn the AR system and feel comfortable with it. And really, this is exactly why we chose this school for Emma, because they meet the kids where they are.
The school's website has all the AR books from the library listed, but it's based on a reading level system, and I don't know Emma's level yet. I'm thrilled to be having some help with navigating books that will challenge her. I feel like she's ready to be reading some chapter books, but she's so visual that she loves books with pictures. Hopefully the AR system will give us both!
I should end by saying that Hubs and I are thrilled for Emma! I'm looking forward to watching her grow and learn academically, and I'm glad to see her school is living up to all my academic expectations. Yay for learning!
Wednesday, October 14, 2009
Now it's getting real
Posted by ~Melissa~ at 9:14 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment