Emma is obsessed with people's middle names right now. In the car today we went through every friend's middle names that I knew. Then she moved onto grandparents. She giggled as she said each grandparent's full name, then she noticed that Grant's middle name is the same as the last name of my parents and brother.
Emma: Hey, Granny and Grandpa and Uncle G's name is the same as Grant's name. How did that happen?
Me: We made Grant's middle name my maiden name. My last name used to be the same as Granny and Grandpa's last name. When I married Dad I chose to change my last name to his last name. When women get married they get to chose whether to take their husband's last name or not.
Emma: But it's a choice, right? They can choose to change it or not?
Me: That's right, it's a choice.
Be still my feminist heart.
Friday, August 14, 2009
Raising a feminist
Posted by ~Melissa~ at 7:04 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment